Hartford Sylvia Encinas Elementary School Scholarship
Newly established in the fall of 2015, this scholarship has been created to honor Sylvia Encinas, long-time volunteer, beloved community member, and dedicated employee of our school. It has been funded with the support of the Hartford Elementary PTO and Student Council, as well as through fundraising efforts on the part of teachers and students. Sylvia Encinas was dedicated to helping people through her generosity, spirit, passion and energy. Even during her youth in Tucson, a radio station featured her every Saturday on the air, asking for donations of food and medical supplies for community members in need. These experiences formed the roots of her lifelong commitment to service, which eventually extended to joining the Hartford Elementary School community as a parent volunteer and extending to 26 years working at Hartford.
One award of $500.00
- Minimum GPA of 2.5
- Must have attended Hartford Sylvia Encinas Elementary School for a minim of two academic years in 4th, 5th or 6th grades
- Must have performed community service of a minimum of ten hours (preference will be given to applicants whose community service is conducted at Hartford Sylvia Encinas Elementary School)
- Applicants must submit a 250 or less word essay in which he or she:
- Reflects on the impact that Hartford Sylvia Encinas Elementary School had on him or her; describe his or her participation in extra-curricular activities or work experience and describes his or her leadership qualities.
- Academic honors and achievement (please provide documentation)